Established 1999, in Winchester, The Hambledon, originally a mini department store/lifestyle/concept store selling lovely things to nice people. They began retailing womenswear and homeware and then branched out to menswear in 2006. They first made the leap to online in 2004 and have since developed their ecommerce offering to replicate their superlative experience they have worked hard to achieve instore.
Leapfrogg started working with The Hambledon in Spring of 2018 on a strategic digital project to increase online growth.
They were looking for a partner that could help them replicate the Hambledon experience across all digital channels to increase brand awareness, engage with more new & current Hambledon customers & ultimately grow direct revenue through the website.
We began by defining the key challenges to online growth, these were:
- Delivering on promise – Having such a strong in store experience tightly wrapped up with the brand, replicating the brand experience online was difficult.
- Lack of customer insight – although the Hambledon knew exactly who their in-store customers were there was no real actionable insight on the online customer to inform marketing decisions.
- Limited budget – being an independent retailer marketing budget and resource was limited, therefore it was imperative that ALL marketing spend must provide a return
What we did:
Leapfrogg created a flexible monthly support program from our senior advisory in partnership with ‘The Hambledon’ team to cover:
- A full review of all current marketing activity including website performance & analytics
- A review of any existing website/customer/transactional data
- An understanding of the digital and direct sales opportunity and required digital marketing budget to achieve growth
- Top level prioritised digital strategy to achieve online growth
- A content and planning workshop with the Hambledon Team
- A month by month marketing action plan to deliver digital growth strategy
- Ongoing development and support of the in-house Hambledon team
After completing an initial analysis and review of their current digital marketing activity and existing website/customer/transactional data we created a growth strategy and plan for 2018 with the following objectives:
Maximise revenue from the Hambledon current customer base
Optimise local exposure
Acquire new customers
Improve on customer experience
We then provided monthly mentoring/management of the strategy with the Hambledon team to ensure all activity was implemented and measured effectively.
Due to a successful online strategy The Hambledon has seen huge growth across all digital channels over the last 12 months.
Online revenue growth = +102.99%
Conversion rate = +48.8%
AOV = +19%
Natural search revenue = +418.36%
Email revenue = +285.10%
Social revenue = +47.73%
We continue to support The Hambledon on a monthly basis to deliver further high growth in 2019/20.
What did the client have to say?
“Working with a consultant can be a bit like working with a builder: it’s never quite as easy as you hope. Except that working with Rosie and Leapfrogg has been much more straightforward and rewarding than we could ever have imagined. Rosie is extremely good at both broad strategic planning and detailed execution. She is authoritative and convincing in her own field and winningly respectful of our expertise in our field. She has guided us very carefully through her plans (a little hand holding was sometimes required!) and we have been delighted with the results.”
Victoria, Founder of the Hambledon